Sunday, July 4, 2010

Happy 4th of July!!

Happy 4th of July to all my fellow gringos!!!!!! I hope you had a wonderful day!

This was my fifth 4th of July spent in Chile, continuously......wow. And I'd have to say it was the best yet.

The day started with breakfast in bed made by my lovely husband. He made crepes filled with nutella and red-white-&-blue fruit (strawberries, bananas and blueberries). So yummy! I don't have a picture for you because I scarfed that delicious-ness down all too quickly.

After breakfast we got ready and went to the US Embassy in Santiago. The Embassy has a celebration every year on the 4th for all US Citizens and their families. In the past, it has been pretty early in the morning--starting at 9am. But this year, they started it later at 1pm with the doors opening at 12pm. It was sunny out (although still cold in the shade)--but it could have been raining. We were served a piece of Papa John's pizza, some chips & salsa, a free pop/water and cake. The Chilean Air Force Big Band played the National Anthem, "When the Saints Go Marching In" and among other songs. The US Marine unit presented the flag. Community leaders spoke about their experiences in Chile and the Ambassador Paul Simons spent his last day as the ambassador sharing stories of his 3 year stint here, including how much the American community has collaborated to help out in the earthquake relief efforts. Did I mention this was all free? Ya, it was pretty awesome and while there may not have been any fireworks or hot weather, it was a special celebration in and of itself.

Christian took most of the pictures at the Embassy, but here is one I grabbed of the two of us:


0 comments:

Disclaimer—La Chilengüita is a blog created upon my personal experiences and which expresses my personal opinion that in no way represents the views my employer, family or friends.