Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Sick & With Licencia for the Rest of the Week

Ugf......apart from dealing with our little newborn last night, I woke up at 5am puking. No fun. I won't go into further details, but that isn't the only thing that happened this morning.

In Chile, if you miss a day of work because you are sick, you have to go to the doctor and get a "license" saying that you really are sick and giving you a certain number of days that you can stay home. This is then sent to your insurance company after you turn it into your place of work and the insurance company actually pays your salary for those days you are out.

When I went to the doctor, she said I have a stomach/intestine sickness....could be viral or could have been thanks to the piece of cake we ate last night (perhaps the cream was going bad). Either way it sucks. They gave me an IV to rehydrate me and I was connected for like an hour, man those things are slow. Of course, my lovely husband took me and stayed with me the whole 2.5 hours at the hospital, except for when he went to my office to drop off my license. He picked me up some jello, gatorade, and crackers...! Today is our civil marriage anniversary--1 year and 5 months.

Dulcinea stayed in bed with me all day pretty much. She slept at my side and chewed on her toys when she was awake. It probably isn't good to have her on the bed so much, but I definitely can't been running behind her on the floor to see what she is getting into.

Well now it is time to try to sleep and get some liquids.


1 comments:

Emily said...

Oh no! Having recently been in your position (quite literally, I also spent some time napping in the hospital with an IV in my arm), I know just how awful it is. Hope you're feeling better soon...the sooner you start feeling good, the sooner it becomes less like licencia and more like mini-vacation :)

Disclaimer—La Chilengüita is a blog created upon my personal experiences and which expresses my personal opinion that in no way represents the views my employer, family or friends.