Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Sex Rebellion in Chile

The New York Times online published an interesting (?) article about Chile on Friday Sept. 12th. In Tangle of Young Lips, a Sex Rebellion in Chile is about the Chilean teenagers and a new phenomenon of ponceo (or making out with multiple people the same day). There have been several television documentaries covering the same topic and it is just as repulsive to the average person here as you will probably feel reading it.

I have found something interesting about Chilean teenagers in general--they all seem to have the need to belong to a tribu urbana (urban tribe), which are cliques that take things to the extreme. We’re not just talking about valley girls vs. nerds vs. jocks vs. artists...we’re talking about pokemones, emos, hardcores and the list goes on. In fact, I found a map that details the different urban tribes defined in this country. It is a noted difference that I have seen between here and the US, whereas gringos seem to forever seek independence, the Chileans look to follow. Obviously this is not applicable to all Chileans, but I think it affects the youth greatly. Might be a more in depth topic for a future post....but for now, have at the NY Times article.

Not exactly the type of publicity I wanted Chile to have...

0 comments:

Disclaimer—La Chilengüita is a blog created upon my personal experiences and which expresses my personal opinion that in no way represents the views my employer, family or friends.