I made a modified version of this recipe (on Sunday) that I got out of a healthy-food cookbook that I bought at Barnes & Noble hace algunos años (a few years ago). I don’t remember what the book was called and I only have pictures of the recipes that I liked (this was my last-minute-way of bringing good recipes with me to Chile without actually bringing the whole book—I didn’t have space in my suitcases!). Well the recipe is modified of course because I couldn’t find all of the necessary ingredients, but it turned out well so have fun with it. I’ll post the actual recipe and then in parenthesis, I’ll put my changes or comments just as I’ve done in previous recipes.
Vegetable Stir-Fry with Egg Noodles
Preparation time: 20 minutes (I think it really depends on how fast you are to cut up all the veggies, I happen to be a slow cutter)
Cooking time: 15 minutes
- 7 oz (200 g) dried egg noodles (I used whole-wheat pasta, couldn’t find egg noodles here)
- 2 tsp. canola oil
- 8 scallions (spring onions), cut into 1 in. lengths (I used 2 entire green onions)
- 1.25” x 1.25” piece of fresh ginger, julienned (couldn’t find ginger, so I did without it)
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 7 oz (200g) Swiss brown mushrooms, quartered (I used normal white button mushrooms)
- 1 red pepper, seeded & thinly sliced
- 1 zucchini, cut on the diagonal into 1/2 in slices
- 1 carrot, sliced on the diagonal
- 10.5 oz. broccoli, cut into small florets
- 10.5 oz Chinese cabbage, shredded (definitely couldn’t find this...so I did without it)
- 2 tbs. hoisin sauce (couldn’t find this, but my search isn’t over yet; to bring the spicy aspect into the recipe, I put in some merken)
- 4 tbs. sake or dry sherry (didn’t have either so I mixed a bit of white wine with red wine)
- 1 handful cilantro leaves, plus extra to serve
- 10.5 oz packet of firm tofu, drained and cut into cubes (couldn’t buy tofu on Sunday, so I cooked some chicken beforehand to use in the recipe)
Bring a large saucepan of water to boil. Add the noodles and cook until tender, following the package’s directions. Drain.
Heat a wok over a high heat, add the canola oil and swirl to coat. Add the scallions and ginger and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for 1 minute.
Add the red pepper, zucchini, carrot and broccoli to the wok and stir-fry for 3-4 minutes. Add 1-2 tablespoons water to help steam through, if necessary. Add the cabbage, hoisin sauce and sake and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, or until cabbage has wilted and all the ingredients are well combined. (I also threw in the chicken at this point so that it could heat up again.)
Toss through the tofu, noodles, and cilantro until well coated in the sauce and serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving: