Sunday, November 14, 2010

First Experience at the Vega Central

After almost 3 years of living in Santiago Christian and I finally ventured to the Vega Central today. The Vega is basically a huge fruit and veggie market in the Recoleta neighborhood of Santiago. It is known for having the best variety and prices for fruits and veggies, however we had never been there for a number of reasons. They were all pretty silly reasons when I think about it now and I am SO glad that we went today! Seriously the variety is unbeatable. There were a ton of things that I didn't even recognize, especially in the Peruvian stands. The quality varies from stand to stand, but overall is great since there are hundreds of booths to choose. We parked the car on the inside of the Vega where it would be safer than out on the street and it allowed us to make trips to the car to put away the kilos and kilos of fruits & veggies that we got! Today's venture was a HUGE success--the market was way nicer and cleaner that I thought it would be. They vendors weren't shouting at us or whistling at me like I have experience in other ferias either. It was busy, but manageable.

So after a little over 50 minutes, Christian and I had purchased the following--all for about $34 USD:

  • 7 artichokes
  • 5 zucchini
  • 2 red bell peppers
  • 2 yellow bell peppers
  • 2 orange bell peppers
  • 1 head of broccoli
  • 3 heads of garlic
  • 12 huevos del campo (equivalent of free-range eggs)
  • 2 kilos of carrots
  • 1 kilo of pears
  • 1 kilo of apples
  • 1 kilo of camote peruano (sweet potatoes...or so I hope)
  • 4 kilos of strawberries (this cost us a whopping $4!!!!!)
  • 1 kilo of cherries
  • 1/4 kilo of ostra mushrooms
  • 1.5 kilos of banana
  • 1/2 kilo tomato
  • 1 kilo avocado
All of this for only $34 dollars! Amazing! I would say that all together we are taking about 16 kilos (or 35 lbs) of fruits and veggies! Mmmmm can't wait to get started cooking!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I did the same kind of post a while ago.. here http://lanarenee.com/2010/10/04/fruits-and-veggies/

I also bought tons of strawberries today.. I wash and freeze half of them to use in smoothies throughout the week so they dont get soggy in the fridge.

Happy cooking!

KM said...

i'm so surprised you'd never been to la vega!!! i love that place and went for my first time when i was studying abroad in stgo and used to go after classes sometimes when i was at the facultad de derecho at la chile since it's so close.recoleta is a great neighrborhood to explore...patronatos not far from la vega...i assume you've been there though right? does this mean you've never been to the persa market either??? if so, head on down one weekend. definitely a fun excursion. but watch your purse. oh how i miss all the cheap fruits and veggies of Chile (went to whole foods yesterday and was shocked by how expensive the produce was)

Disclaimer—La Chilengüita is a blog created upon my personal experiences and which expresses my personal opinion that in no way represents the views my employer, family or friends.