Friday, August 20, 2010

Flashback Friday: First Day In Chile

On July 1, 2006 I sat with my family in the Denver International Airport, waiting to board my first international flight to start my study abroad program in Chile. It was the start of what would be a life changing year. I always knew study abroad would offer me amazing experiences that would change me...but I didn't really expect to find my husband through it!!

I thought it'd be fun to take a trip back to that fateful 24-36 hour period of my life that began over four years ago....

At DIA with my Dad and sister.

Mom & Dad

Picture of screen at DFW Airport, waiting to board the fight to Santiago!

As we were arriving to Chile, I was pegada a la ventana (constantly looking out the window) to get a good view of this land I would call home for 13 months. It just happened be light enough out and the angle of the plane perfect for me to get this shot of Valparaíso, where I would be living & studying during my time abroad. In the many times I have flown to and from Chile in the past 4 years, I have never seen Valpo so clearly again so I definitely think it was a sign to be able to get this shot!

The Andes
Sunrise over The Andes

The room where I stayed for the first 2 weeks I was in Chile. I took intensive Spanish classes that I paid for thanks to a scholarship from Shell.

The day I arrived (a Sunday), my housemate Wiebke took me around Santiago. This is a picture of a statue in the Plaza Italia in Santiago.

We took the Funicular up Cerro San Cristobal to get an awesome view of the city (and smog) and check out the Virgin Mary.

Providencia and Las Condes from Cerro San Cristobal. Notice the construction of the Costanera Center or the Titanium building hadn't started yet.

Virgin Mary atop Cerro San Cristobal

Me at the base of the Virgin Mary with The Andes behind me.

Taking the Funicular back down the mountainside.

Telefonica (now Movistar) building shaped like a cell phone by the Plaza Italia.

I had a great first day in Santiago. I remember Wiebka took me to Castaño to get an empanada de pino (meat turnover that are typical in Chile). The only thing we couldn't do was drink pisco sour because all of the (few) restaurants that were normally open on Sundays ended up closing early thanks to a fútbol (soccer) game.

What was your first day like in Chile (or in the first country you ever visited)?

1 comments:

Heather said...

My first day in Chile I spent a lot of catching up on sleep in a hostel, but I actually am just writing now about doing many of these same activities in Santiago. I'm sure in years to come it'll be fun to look back on it all like you did here!

Disclaimer—La Chilengüita is a blog created upon my personal experiences and which expresses my personal opinion that in no way represents the views my employer, family or friends.